By Charles TAYLOR
Read or Download A Secular Age PDF
Similar religious philosophy books
In a Darwinian global, non secular habit - similar to different behaviors - is probably going to have passed through a technique of normal choice during which it was once rewarded within the evolutionary foreign money of reproductive luck. This ebook goals to supply a greater realizing of the social eventualities during which choice strain ended in spiritual practices changing into an advanced human trait, i.
Exploring the interior motivations of 1 of America’s maximum non secular thinkers, this ebook analyses the ways that Jonathan Edwards' severe own piety and deep event of divine sovereignty drove an introverted highbrow alongside a direction that may ultimately turn into a mature and revered public highbrow.
A few philosophers have proposal that lifestyles might purely be significant if there isn't any God. For Sartre and Nagel, for instance, a God of the conventional classical theistic type could constrain our powers of self-creative autonomy in ways in which might significantly detract from the that means of our lives, most likely even evacuate our lives of all which means.
Each successive iteration unearths clean purposes for the examine of ordinary legislations. present curiosity within the ordinary legislation could be as a result of a pervasive ethical pessimism within the Western cultural context and wider modern geopolitical demanding situations. these geopolitical demanding situations consequence from major and worrisome international advancements – extraordinary violent persecution of non secular minorities on a number of continents and a becoming weather of secular hostility towards spiritual religion in Western societies.
- René Girard and Creative Reconciliation
- Kierkegaard and Kant on Radical Evil and the Highest Good: Virtue, Happiness, and the Kingdom of God
- Martin Luther: Confessor of the Faith (Christian Theology in Context)
- Constructing Solidarity for a Liberative Ethic: Anti-Racism, Action, and Justice (Content and Context in Theological Ethics)
- A Psychology of Body, Soul, & Spirit
- Confrontations with the Reaper: A Philosophical Study of the Nature and Value of Death
Extra info for A Secular Age
A Secular Age by Charles TAYLOR